We Have No One to Blame But Ourselves
Sometimes God gives people what they want.
Israel wanted a king and they got Saul.
America wanted Barack Obama as President…and we got him…again. America voted and our choice is clear.
The election of 2012 will go down in history as a mark of who we are as a nation and not about who Barack Obama is as a man. Four years ago Obama was largely unknown with virtually no track record. People voted him into office on a wave of hope and change. Now we know Obama. His track record as president is not good. He has spent more money and accumulated more debt than any president before him. He oversaw the first ever downgrade of our economy. He has failed to submit a budget that even his own party will vote for. He has catered to the most radically liberal elements of his party embolding them in ways we have never seen. Remember that no less than 24 speakers at the Democratic National Convention championed abortion to the roar of the crowd. We were told this election would be about the economy but it was not. It was about a nation that wants a bigger government who will “take care of them.” Obama is the “I’ll take care of you president.” He will make sure women have free birth control. He will make sure illegals are protected with rights and free from the enforcement of immigration law. He will stand behind the same-sex marriage crowd being what Newsweek called The First Gay President. To every minority group, he threw a bone. And our nation, that is more divided than ever, bit.
So this is where we are. A severely fractured nation, which looks nothing like John Kennedy’s America where we were challenged to “ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” Huh uh. No way. We want our country to do for us. From record numbers on food stamps, to taxing the rich so the poor can have more, to free cell phones. We are a “give me more” nation.
And we have no one to blame but ourselves. The die for the 2012 election was cast a long time ago by another generation. In hindsight the re-election of President Obama was inevitable. In 1962 we said no to prayer in public schools. In 1963 we said no to Bible reading in public schools. In 1973 we said no to life and yes to legalized abortion. These dates are markers. They signify a national attitude. It really is a slippery slope. We have been progressively, as a nation, walking this path toward secularism and self-focus. The 2012 election may have signified a massive acceleration in the moral realignment of our nation. In addition to the re-election of President Obama, we saw the legalization of marijuana in Colorado (the measure was narrowly defeated in the “conservative” state of Arkansas) and we saw gay marriage approved by ballot in Maine and Maryland. This is the FIRST time gay marriage has won “by the will of the people.”
So what will the next four years bring? Here are some predictions:
- More debt. The national debt will grow to at least 20 trillion dollars. America will be downgraded again.
- We will continue to see economic turmoil globally because of a declining America.
- Russia and China will ascend as geo-political forces that rival America.
- America – Israeli relations will continue to erode.
- Gas prices will go higher hurting the poor and middle class.
- The unemployment rate will slog along and will never get to the 5% Obama promised we would see after his first term.
- Morale in the military will hit an all time low.
- We will see Americans become poaching targets around the world by an emboldened enemy unafraid of this President.
- Obama will double down on his liberal agenda. We will see no attempt to work with Republicans.
- We will see the attitude toward legalized marijuana grow.
- We will see same-sex marriage approved by ballot in more states thus marginalizing in new ways traditional values and the traditional family.
The Bible is clear. God is the one that “removes kings and establishes kings.” God also, at times in history, gives a nation exactly what they ask for. We are a nation that has been running from God and from the things of God for more than 50 years. Are we so naïve as to believe that God would look the other way? Our nation is what it is and it will be what it will be because this is what WE THE PEOPLE have asked for. Romans 1 speaks about God “giving them over,” speaking of the way in which God gives a nation over to moral decline when that nation chooses to blatantly thumb its nose at God. Such nations decline and eventually collapse. Our nation appears to be on a track of our own laying. A track of self-aggrandizement, moral decline, religious pluralism, and economic decay. This track has not been laid in secret but in open for all to see and with the help of what is now the majority in America.
Once again, we have no one to blame but ourselves.
So where do we go from here as Bible believing followers of Jesus? This too is equally clear:
- We pray. We pray for our leaders on all levels of government. Mayor, state leaders, national leaders, and our President. Israel prayed for Saul. We must pray for Barack Obama. Proverbs 21:1 says that “A king’s heart is like streams of water in the LORD’s hand: He directs it wherever He chooses.”
- We watch. God’s plan is global and historical. Not national and limited to four or eight years. Whatever happens to the United States of America will play directly into biblical end time prophecy. America’s decline morally and economically may very well be what removes us from the biblical landscape. In addition, keep your eyes on Israel.
- We act. As Christians, we are much more concerned about the Kingdom than we are the Nation. The Church is THE NUMBER ONE instrument of God on earth to change the world. When it is darkest is when the Light shines the brightest. “Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven” (Matt. 5:16). The continuing decline of America morally and economically will yield a harvest of opportunity for the Gospel. We will need a new generation of laborers for this harvest.
More than ever, this is the season of the Church. May the Church rise and seize the coming unprecedented opportunity to shine light into darkness. If we do not, we will have no one to blame but ourselves.